Ingredients for 4 people
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 7 cm of fresh Thai galangal, thinly cut
- 2.5 dl chicken stock
- 7.5 dl coconut milk
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into small bite-size pieces
- 10 champignon mushrooms, quartered
- 1 small onion, quartered and sliced
- 4 Thai chilies, smashed
- 6 fresh kaffir lime leaves
- 6-8 tbsp. fish sauce, to taste
- juice of 4 limes, to taste
- 1-2 tbsp. palm sugar
- handful of cilantro leaves
- cherry tomatoes (optional)
to increase flavor, the first thing you should do is to concentrate your chicken stock. to put the stock in a pan and bring it to a boil, then reduce it over medium-high heat until the liquid reduces in half.
cut off the bottom your lemongrass stalks and discard. remove the loose outer layer of leaves. slice lemongrass in about 4 cm pieces, smash the lemongrass and chilies, in order to release the flavors using the side of your knife or a mortar and pestle.
place lemongrass, thinly sliced galangal, and kaffir lime leaves in soup pot with coconut milk and chicken broth. bring to a low boil.
add onion, mushrooms and chicken and keep at a low boil, until chicken is cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.
dd lime juice, fish sauce, sugar to taste and cherry tomatoes.
sprinkle cilantro leaves on top.