Ingredients for ca. 150g (serves 2 to 4)
- 1 Tsp coriander seeds
- 1 Tsp cumin seeds
- 1 Tsp whole white peppercorns
- 3 to 4 green bird's eye chiles, chopped
- 2 long green Thai chiles, chopped
- 1 (ca. 2,5cm) pièce of galangal, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks lemongrass (bottom), bruised and thinly sliced
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 3 cilantro roots, cleaned
- 8 cloves of Thai garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 to 3 Thai shallots, coarsely chopped
toast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and white peppercorns in a small skillet over very low heat until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. grind using a stone mortar and pestle.
in the same mortar, add the two types of chiles and pound with the spices until they break apart. add the galangal, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, cilantro roots, garlic, and shallots and continue pounding into a smooth paste, about 20 minutes.